Monday, November 18, 2013

Learning to shoot sports in any environment

Kalamazoo's Tyler Oliver drives to the basket. (PHO245 photos by Damion Roundtree)
Owens head coach Dave Clarke shouts out a play.

   Sports photography is much harder than I expected. There are a lot of things to keep in mind when shooting sports.
   Upon entering the facility you need to check out the lighting, depending on how the gym in this case is lit the proper lens will need to be chosen.
   Low light lenses will work best in this situation but if you don’t have one, which I did not, your camera control skills are your best option.
   Anticipation is the key to getting some really good action shots. Following the game at its fast pace can be hard when looking through the viewfinder.
   Setting your camera on a high shutter speed will help you stop action in its tracks.
   Remembering your there to shoot the game is a challenge in its own, I’m a sports kind of guy so I found my self watching and forgetting about shooting several times.
   I really enjoyed shooting the Owens Community College basketball game, besides getting in free and watching the game from the floor the the teams put on a good show for their fans.
   Despite not having the best equipment for the job, I don’t think I done bad.
You be the judge and I hope you enjoy the photos.

Fans watch the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment